It was time to say goodbye to Minnesota and the spot we camped for a week at Lynn's house. It is always sad to part but we must keep moving. I got up and prepared my comments for the proposed roadless rule rescission and got them uploaded before we went to say our goodbyes. (You, too, can make comments. It is very simple. Go to https://morethanjustparks.com/roadless-rule/ and click on comment. A series of questions with multiple choice are presented. Easy.) Before turning the front yard back over to Lynn, we returned her car keys which she graciously loaned us for the week so that we could travel to all the family gatherings. It is a nice car. A 2020 Toyota RAV 4 hybrid. It has all the newer technology and dutifully warns you when you are drifting out of your lane.
We made a stop at the hardware store in Pine City because I like this place. The have all kinds of stuff.
This was in the window and captures a chaotic hunting family. I thought it was humorous.
Less than an hour into our trip, the fog in Pine City gave way to a bright, sunny day. We detoured into Moose Lake to fill up our propane tank—we needed it, taking on six gallons. It’s comforting to know we’re heading out with a full tank.
We stopped along the way for a break and Tad and I walked around. A disgusting looking blob was on the ground and I said to myself "What is that?" I suspected it was a fungus of some type but had to be sure and so I touched it lightly to confirm its gelatinous feel before instinctively retracting my hand. Mental note to wash hands before continuing the journey.
An excellent and filling dinner was served by a most friendly chef. This establishment really serves some delicious food at a very inexpensive price. After dinner, we played a game of cribbage as the sun disappeared for the day. Another Harvest Host guest quietly arrived and set up near us. I guess we are not the only ones here after all
We tootled down the road enjoying the fall colors just starting to turn as we made our way north to Thunder Bay, ON Canada. The motorhome doesn't have the fancy technology the RAV4 has so I substituted my own voice whenever Kasey drifted out of his lane. I had to give that up because I would not have been able to get any reading done
After Duluth, we started to see the lake. The clouds made each picture different.
Our route took us along the north shore of Lake Superior. The native Americans called the lake Gitchie-Gami or Great Lake. We passed the time by reading and playing music. It is a pretty drive and passes through many small tourist towns. It was a bright and sunny day. Even though it was a Monday, there was plenty of people enjoying the weather and the beautiful scenery.
We made are destination in good time but lost an hour as we moved into the Eastern time zone. Our border crossing was uneventful but the attendant informed me that I needed to sign my passport. We have been to and from Mexico with that passport and no one mentioned it.
Our camping spot is at the Loch Lomond Ski Area. It isn't operating of course, but still available for Harvest Host guests. I saw a few bicyclers and hikers so I believe it is still available for recreation. We had the parking area to ourselves.
I took Tad for a walk while Kasey cooked some chile. Since this is a new area, Tad quickly discovered the local flora hitchhikers: the Devil's Beggarticks. These things stick easily to clothes too, so we both brought them back to camp. I spent almost an hour working to get these little bastards out of his fur.
With dinner ready, I decided it was time to stop torturing the dog and give him a break. He was eager to find a spot away from me and my busy comb.
We are far north yet the night is still a comfortable temperature.
We are not sure where we will be tomorrow. It is not the destination that matters, but the journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment